Becoming a member of the Phil & Lit gives you a chance to learn about a wide range of topics and enjoy the company of others with an endless appetite for knowledge. Being part of this Society, now in its third century, connects you to its heritage and helps to ensure that it continues to thrive.
Benefits of Becoming a Member
- Special member-only events and lectures
- Free and discounted publications
- A free copy of the Society’s Annual Review
- Opportunity to join the Council
- Information about the lectures, concerts and other cultural activities supported by the Society
- An invitation to the dinner and lecture which follow the Annual General Meeting
- Help shape the future of the Leeds Philosophical and Literary Society as well as and the City of Leeds
- A chance to enter the fiendishly challenging annual Christmas quiz
The 2023 Leeds Phil & Lit Annual General Meeting and Dinner
The 2023 Leeds Phil & Lit Annual General Meeting & Dinner
The 2023 Annual General Meeting
Take your role as a member in overseeing the report of the last year’s activities and helping to set the path for the next year.
Nano comes to life – Stoner Colloquium 17:15 on 30 Nov at University of Leeds – Sonia Contera, Professor of Biological Physics, University of Oxford
How nanotechnology ushers physics into biology, transforming medicine, the future of biology and… computing
The Society makes grants both to individuals and to organisations in support of cultural and scientific activities which increase innovation, outreach and diversity in Leeds and its immediate area. It also supports local museums and galleries and publications relating to the city.
Since 1819, the Phil & Lit has been inviting the people of Leeds to hear from knowledgeable and entertaining speakers. Many are leaders in their field of science, arts or current affairs. We also hold an annual Science Fair and organise occasional visits.