The Society is managed by a Council of up to fifteen unpaid trustees, who act both as directors for Companies Act purposes and trustees for Charities Act purposes.
A third of the fifteen Council members retire by rotation at every Annual General Meeting, when new trustees can be proposed. The officers of the Society, all of whom are trustees, are the President, Vice-President, Secretary and Treasurer. The officers are elected by and from the Council every year.
- Member since 1990s
- President since 2019
- Professor of Molecular & Cellular Biology, University of Leeds: viruses & cancer; gene therapy; cancer therapy
- Interests: Music, reading, motor sport & travel
- Member since early 1990s
- President 2007-2010 and 2016-2019
- Astrophysics, Leeds University Life Fellow
- Interests: Music, walking, gardening
- Member since 2012
- Hon Secretary from 2021
- Politician, writer, historian and jazz musician
- Honorary Alderman, City of Leeds
- Read more at: https://beemeadowcroft.uk
- Member since 2007
- Hon Treasurer since 2020
- General Manager, Leeds Grand Theatre & Opera House 1971-2007
- Former Governor and Honorary Fellow Leeds College of Music
- Former Deputy Chair, Leeds Art Fund
- Paul Harris Rotary Fellow (Ruby)
- Interests: Theatre, Dance, Art, Photography, Architecture, Gardening, Travel
Current Council Members
- Joined 2020
- Council Member from 2020
- Retired elected member of Leeds City Council – Lead member for Galleries & Museums
- Retired Tribunal Judge
- Council Member since 1999
- I organise the annual Science Fair
- Retired Physicist from University of Leeds
- Interests: Music, Photography, Wildlife, Astronomy
- Member since late 1970s
- Elected to LPLS Council 2010
- Former ward councillor, Leeds City Council
- Interests: Architecture, art, music especially opera, walking and cross-country skiing
- Member and Council member since 2007
- Former lecturer in Politics & Social History, Leeds Beckett University
- Interests: Art history, architecture, history of Leeds
- Member since 2021, Council member from 2022
- Retired Department of Health civil servant
- Chair, The Leeds Library and Friends of University Art and Music
- Interests: music, art, literature, walking and cricket
- New Member, joined 2022.
- Fine Art Picture Specialist at Bonhams Auctioneers, 2007-2022
- Currently Freelance
- Interests: Art, Sculpture, Architecture, Music, Walking, Gardens and gardening and sport mainly tennis.
- Member since early 2000s
- Former research fellow in molecular biology, now Visiting Fellow in Centre for History and Philosophy of Science at the University of Leeds and writer.
- Author of ‘The Man in the Monkeynut Coat’ and ‘Insulin – the Crooked Timber’
- Interests: Electric guitar, keyboards, martial arts, walking, literature, writing, scientific heritage of Leeds.
- Member since 2019, Events Secretary since 2021
- Lecturer in Geography, University of Leeds, 1994-2013
- Researches, writes and broadcasts about Leeds including ‘21st century Leeds: geographies of a regional city’ (2004) & ‘Leeds: Cradle of Innovation’ (2018).
- Founded ‘Leeds City Walking Tours’, taking groups of locals, visitors and professionals on a range of tours and also offering online presentations.
Previous Presidents of the Society
- 2004-06 M. R. D. SEAWARD, M.Sc., Ph.D., D.Sc., F.L.S.
- 2007-09 C. J. HATTON, B.Sc., Ph.D., C.Phys., F.Inst.P.
- 2010-13 A. C. T. NORTH, B.Sc., Ph.D., C.Phys., F.Inst.P.
- 2014-16 J. M. HILL B.A., D.Phil., D.Univ., F.E.A., F.R.S.A.
- 2016-20 C. J. HATTON, B.Sc., Ph.D., C.Phys., F.Inst.P.
- 2020- G.E. Blair, B.Sc., Ph.D., F.R.S.B., F.L.S.
- 1900-02 J. H. WICKSTEED, President Inst.M.E.
- 1902-04 ARTHUR SMITHELLS, B.Sc., F.R.S.
- 1904-06 J. E. EDDISON, M.D.
- 1906-09 E. KITSON CLARK, M.A., F.S.A., M.Inst.C.E.
- 1909-11 REV. J. R. WYNNE-EDWARDS, M.A.
- 1911-12 C. T. WHITMELL, M.A., B.Sc., F.R.A.S.
- 1912-14 P. F. KENDALL, M.Sc., F.G.S.
- 1914-17 REV. W. H. DRAPER, M.A.
- 1917-19 JAMES E. BEDFORD, F.G.S.
- 1919-22 SYDNEY D. KITSON, M.A., F.S.A., F.R.I.B.A.
- 1922-24 ARTHUR J. GRANT, M.A.
- 1924-26 WALTER GARSTANG, M.A., D.Sc., F.Z.S.
- 1926-28 EDWIN HAWKESWORTH
- 1928-30 F. W. BRANSON, F.I.C.
- 1930-32 E. O. DODGSON
- 1932-34 A. GILLIGAN, D.Sc., F.G.S.
- 1934-36 R. WHIDDINGTON, M.A., D.Sc., F.R.S.
- 1936-39 HUGH R. LUPTON, M.C., M.A.
- 1939-46 W. M. EDWARDS, M.C., M.A.
- 1946-48 E. A. SPAUL, D.Sc., Ph.D.
- 1948-50 W. L. ANDREWS
- 1950-52 J. N. TETLEY, D.S.O., LL.D.
- 1952-54 TERRY THOMAS, M.A., LL.D., B.Sc., Ph.D.
- 1954-56 H. C. VERSEY, D.Sc., F.G.S.,
- 1956-58 H. S. VICK, J.P.
- 1958-60 H. ORTON, M.A., B.Litt.
- 1960-62 SIR GEORGE MARTIN, LL.D., J.P.
- 1962-64 E. J. WOOD, M.A.
- 1964-66 R. D. PRESTON, D.Sc., F.R.S., F.Inst.P.
- 1966-68 J. LE PATOUREL, M.A., D.Phil.
- 1968-70 G. P. MEREDITH, M.Sc., M.Ed., Ph.D.
- 1970-72 J. G. WILSON, M.A., Ph.D., F.Inst.P.
- 1972-74 J. TAYLOR, M.A.
- 1974-76 H. HENSON, D.Sc., Ph.D., F.R.E.S.
- 1976-78 P. R. J. BURCH, M.A., Ph.D.
- 1978-81 R. REED, M.Sc., Ph.D
- 1981-83 LORD MARSHALL OF LEEDS, M.A., LL.B.
- 1983-85 B. R. HARTLEY, M.A., F.S.A.
- 1985-87 D. COX, B.A., A.L.A.
- 1987-89 B. COLVILLE, M.B., B.S., F.R.C.G.P.
- 1989-91 I. S. MOXON, M.A., B.A.
- 1991-93 R. F. M. BYRN, M.A., Ph.D.
- 1993-95 MRS J. E. MORTIMER, B.A.
- 1995-97 A. C. CHADWICK, B.Sc., Ph.D., D.Sc., C.Biol., F.I.Biol., F.R.G.S.
- 1997-99 O. S. PICKERING, B.A., B.Phil., Ph.D., Dip.Lib.
- 1999-03 P. J. EVENNETT, B.Sc., Ph.D., Hon. F.R.M.S.
- 1820-26 JOHN MARSHALL
- 1826-28 REV. W. H. BATHURST, M.A.
- 1828-31 MICHAEL THOS. SADLER, M.P.
- 1831-33 WILLIAM HEY
- 1833-35 JAMES WILLIAMSON, M.D.
- 1835-37 REV. JOSEPH HOLMES, M.A.
- 1837-40 REV. RICHARD WINTER HAMILTON
- 1840-42 ADAM HUNTER, M.D.
- 1842-45 JOHN HOPE SHAW
- 1845-50 REV. WILLIAM SINCLAIR, M.A.
- 1850-51 WILLIAM WEST, F.R.S.
- 1851-54 REV. CHARLES WICKSTEED, B.D.
- 1854-57 JOHN HOPE SHAW
- 1857-58 JAMES GARTH MARSHALL, F.G.S.
- 1858-59 REV. W. F. HOOK, D.D.
- 1859-61 REV. ALFRED BARRY, M.A.
- 1861-63 THOS. PRIDGIN TEALE, F.R.S.
- 1863-66 REV. THOS. HINCKS, B.A.
- 1866-68 CHARLES CHADWICK, M.D.
- 1868-72 JOHN DEAKIN HEATON, M.D.
- 1872-74 REV. CANON WOODFORD, D.D.
- 1874-76 J. I. IKIN, F.R.C.S.
- 1876-78 REV. J. H. McCHEANE, M.A.
- 1878-81 T. CLIFFORD ALLBUTT, M.D., F.R.S.
- 1881-83 REV. JOHN GOTT, D.D.
- 1883-85 J. E. EDDISON, M.D.
- 1885-86 EDWARD ATKINSON, F.L.S.
- 1886-89 THOMAS MARSHALL, M.A.
- 1889-92 THOS. PRIDGIN TEALE, M.A., F.R.S.
- 1892-94 REV. J. H. D. MATTHEWS, M.A.
- 1894-96 REV. CHARLES HARGROVE, M.A.
- 1896-98 EDMUND WILSON, F.S.A.
- 1898-1900 NATHAN BODINGTON, M.A., Litt.D.
The Society makes grants both to individuals and to organisations in support of cultural and scientific activities which increase innovation, outreach and diversity in Leeds and its immediate area. It also supports local museums and galleries and publications relating to the city.
Since 1819, the Phil & Lit has been inviting the people of Leeds to hear from knowledgeable and entertaining speakers. Many are leaders in their field of science, arts or current affairs. We also hold an annual Science Fair and organise occasional visits. Becoming a member means that you’ll receive invitations to all these activities. In future, we plan to have a mix of real and virtual events.