Becoming a member of the Phil & Lit gives you a chance to learn about a wide range of topics and enjoy the company of others with an endless appetite for knowledge. Being part of this Society, now in its third century, connects you to its heritage and helps to ensure that it continues to thrive.
Benefits of Becoming a Member
- Special member-only events and lectures
- Free and discounted publications
- A free copy of the Society’s Annual Review
- Opportunity to join the Council
- Information about the lectures, concerts and other cultural activities supported by the Society
- An invitation to the dinner and lecture which follow the Annual General Meeting
- Help shape the future of the Leeds Philosophical and Literary Society as well as and the City of Leeds
Artificial Intelligence – Part 2
What is ethical AI? A landscape of possibilities and pitfalls Gabriela Arriagada Bruneau, University of Leeds
The Mars 2020 Perseverance Rover and the search for ancient life on Mars
A Leeds Phil & Lit 'Hot Topic' talk by Professor Nicholas Tosca, University of Cambridge
The Society makes grants both to individuals and to organisations in support of cultural and scientific activities which increase innovation, outreach and diversity in Leeds and its immediate area. It also supports local museums and galleries and publications relating to the city.
Since 1819, the Phil & Lit has been inviting the people of Leeds to hear from knowledgeable and entertaining speakers. Many are leaders in their field of science, arts or current affairs. We also hold an annual Science Fair and organise occasional visits. Becoming a member means that you’ll receive invitations to all these activities. In future, we plan to have a mix of real and virtual events.